Search This Blog

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Waioli Tea Room and Bakery Lease to Expire in November


Brian Jahnke, the restaurant operator of the Waioli Tea Room and Bakery in Manoa Valley, has announced that he will not renew his lease with the Salvation Army after November 3, 2013. Jahnke commented, “The lease is up and I had a chance to renew, but decided not to. Gas, water and electric doubled,” he said. Utilities went up by $5,000 a month, and those expenses plus rent, maintenance and insurance make the operation “not profitable for me.” Jahnke reminisced, “I took over (in 2003) because it was my favorite restaurant and I’d heard that it was closing. (I called the Salvation Army to complain about the planned closure) and six weeks later I was running the place. You have to be careful what you complain about. It’s part of Hawaii’s history, like the last holdout of old Hawaii. It’s just been a great run for me.”
The land beneath the property is owned the the Salvation Army, and representatives of the non-profit organization have announced that they plan to keep operating a restaurant on the site, but have released no additional specific information. On possibility is that the Salvation Army will run the facilities themselves, which is something they did between 1922 and 2003.
Source: Honolulu Star Advertiser, 2-7-2013, www.staradvertiser.com
Posted by Jeff Uyemura-Reyes, Broker-in-Charge, Realtor®
Global Executive Realty, LLC
www.myhawaiihomesearch.com
www.myhawaiicondo.com
www.myhawaiidreamhome.com